Have you read ‘Facing the Facts, Shaping the Future’? Developed by Health Education England alongside NHSE, NHSI, PHE and many others, it is a new system-wide draft consultation document which will inform the first comprehensive ‘Workforce Strategy’ in over 25 years expected to be published in July 2018 to coincide with the NHS’s 70th Birthday.
It proposes six overarching key principles that should perhaps be adopted for all future workforce interventions:
- securing the recruitment and retention of staff to deliver high quality care
- training, education, investment and talent management to ensure that all new and current staff have the professional flexibility and adaptability to meet the needs of patients;
- providing career pathways for all staff rather than simply ‘jobs’;
- ensuring that everyone irrelevant of background has the opportunity to contribute to, and benefit from, healthcare;
- ensuring that the entire NHS is a modern model employer with flexibility in terms of working patterns and career structures;
- ensuring that in the future service, financial and workforce planning are intertwined.
We all know that this radical action is needed. The same challenges faced by the health and care system continue to be highlighted, yet what’s the solution? How do we achieve this? Health Education England want to hear YOUR views.
First read the report and discuss it with your colleagues. Collective action is needed. With questions that are intentionally broad, it is hoped that this draft strategy will start an all inclusive conversation about what NHS staff and those we care for need now and in the future.
No matter what your views, please do give them. Business as usual is not sustainable. Highlight issues and share your solutions so that together we can understand what more we need to do to secure the future of our health service, today.
You can respond via this link and complete the questionnaire online or if you would prefer, send via post.